Working Per Diem for Preferred
What is Per Diem Employment?
Per diem, which is Latin for “by the day,” means working shifts on a day-to-day basis, typically with one or more local facilities. Another common term is PRN, which stands for ‘pro re nata,’ another Latin phrase that means “as needed.” When you work per diem/PRN for Preferred, we are the employer, but you work at one of our client healthcare facilities. They may need per diem staff during busy stretches or to cover gaps in staff coverage. Some per diem assignments are same day, whereas others may be longer contracts, depending on the facility’s needs.
Why Take Per Diem Assignments?
There are numerous benefits to per diem (PRN) work, including:
- Greater flexibility – work when you want, as much as you want.
- More work-life balance – sometimes a full-time job doesn’t fit with one’s personal commitments.
- Gain experience – build your clinical expertise while working per diem shifts.
- Explore different settings – determine which healthcare settings fit you best.
- Work at multiple facilities – see what it’s like in different parts of the city or with different organizations.
- Earn extra money – some people work per diem shifts on the side to pay off student loans, earn spending cash, or sock away savings.
How to Apply for Per Diem Work?
At any given time, Preferred has ongoing per diem contracts with numerous healthcare facilities. You can search for specific per diem jobs through our job search, or you can apply directly. A recruiter will follow up with you to learn more about your interests and answer any questions.